Friday, September 11, 2009

Friends

This is my FRIENDS speech from Camp!! (Please don't credit me with being this smart to have made up the anecdotes, analogies or coined the quotes and phrases you find spattered throughout this message all by myself. Believe me, this is a compilation of research of what other smart people have said, I just put it together to make it a speech to fit my needs! Thank God for the internet . . .) Enjoy-

A familiar story came to me as I was going over my notes for this evening and I’d like to share it with you.

One afternoon after the schoolbell rang a timid young man cleaned out his locker of every piece of paper, every picture, every book, every assignment he had poured his heart into – all his belongings - and began his walk home. Along the way with his arms full and struggling somewhat under the weight of his load some boys came along and tripped the timid boy and knocked his books out of his arms. As he and the books tumbled to the ground the boys who had committed this cowardly act ran away . . . laughing, unaware really of the gravity of their painful choice to reject another human being.

In the distance another young man saw what had occurred and quickly made his way to the fallen boy. Together they picked up his books and belongings and resumed their walk home, each one carrying a load, and chatting about simple things – in other words, just making small talk about much of nothing.

But after this day the two boys became inseparable friends throughout the years of middle school and on through high school. The young man who had originally been timid began to blossom and not only participated but excelled in sports; he even became the school valedictorian. In his commencement speech to his peers, some of which had been so cruel to him in previous years, he began by recollecting that day years back when those boys knocked him down and his books spilled all over the sidewalk, however he did not recite this story to elicit pity or to prick the hearts of those boys but to speak of the gift of friendship and the faithfulness of God. “I was devastated” he said, ‘however I had already made up my mind before this event even happened that I was going to go home and end my own life. I just felt as though I didn’t fit in, I felt like I didn’t have any value to offer anyone and it would just be better this way . . . and that is why I had all of my books with me that day. BUT THEN I MADE A FRIEND . . . A TRUE FRIEND . . . . and slowly things began to change in my life, it was certainly worth the fight to keep going, but I owe much of my hope and courage to the encouragement and comradity of my friend who I believe God sent me that day to help carry my load.”

We never know what another person is facing in their lives. You may be sitting next to a kid that’s hurting on the inside, maybe you’ve been eating beside one every day or sleeping in the same cabin with one, you may never know. But this we do know, God has brought us all here together this summer, weaving us together according to his good pleasure and master plan . . . and that’s what I want to talk to you about tonight – THE GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP!

What is a friend? Well, I’m glad you asked . . . . I’ve heard it said that a friend is . . .


· A single soul dwelling in two bodies.

· Friends are the bacon bits in the salad bowl of life.

· Friends are God’s way of taking care of us.

Let me prove that straight out of the Bible . . .

I want to tell you a story about a crippled Man with four friends, I believe in the book of Mark. We find in this story that Jesus is in town , inside a home and completely swamped with people all clamoring for his touch, his healing. It's standing room only . . . . but four friends got together and decided that if they could get their crippled friend to Jesus he could be healed, problem is - how could they get to him with all of the people? They had to get creative, and be determined, which they were. They carried their crippled friend, which was cumbersome I'm sure, to the roof top and cut a hole in the roof and lowered their friend to Jesus. The scriptures tell us that 'when Jesus saw the boldness and faith' of this man's friends he healed him.

Now, that’s what I call friendship! That’s the kind of friends I hope to have if I find myself in a sticky wicket. It is friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. When my son was in a really bad accident and the hospital called us at 2:30 in the morning, the first calls we made for prayer and for help were our friends . . . family actually came second . . .


Friends are one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.

I’d like to share another story with you, about another crippled man, found in the book of John. This story, however, is tragic . . .

This particular man is found by Jesus laying beside the pool of Bethesda. He had been lying there for 38 years . . . you see, when an angel of the lord came down and stirred the waters the first person to get into the pool was healed. For 38 years this man has been laying there. Jesus asked him, "Do you want to be healed"? The man replies by telling Jesus that he has no one to help him, no one to lift him up and place him in the water. Where are this man's friends? Doesn't he have any friends to help him? Why is he all alone, and for 38 years at that??? This is so sad to me . . . .

In Ecclesiastes we are told that Two are better than one . . . . . . . If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! And it appears that that is exactly where this man was in life . . . . he had no one to help him up! Again I ask this question, "Where were all his friends? Didn’t he make any friends throughout his life? Why was he alone for all of those years?" That is so sad to me . . .

The scriptures tell us that : A faithful friend is the medicine of life.

· It isn’t a big thing – it’s a million little things. For example:

· When a friend is in trouble don’t annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something and do it, just like those four friends did for their crippled friend.

· Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. Or “Dude, seriously - you’ve got a booger” . . .

· A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad.

· The friend is the man who knows all about you and still likes you.

· A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.

· Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then – here’s the kicker – they actually wait for the answer.

· A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half cracked.

· Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend.

· A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

A four year old child had a next door neighbor who was an elderly gentleman that had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother asked him what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry."

· The most you can do for your friend is simply be his friend.

· You've got troubles, I've got 'em too. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you. We'll stick together to see it through cause you've got a friend in me."

Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention…. A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words. You don’t have to have all the answers to life, just be a friend.

· A friend is someone who understand your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are. Let me demonstrate .

The Puppy

A store owner was tacking a sign above his door that read "Puppies for Sale."

The signs have a way of attracting children. Soon a little boy appeared at the sign and asked, "How much are you gonna sell those puppies for?"

The store owner replied, "Anywhere from $30 to $50."

The little boy reached into his pocket and pulled out some change. "I have $2.37. Can I look at them?"

The store owner smiled and whistled. Out of the kennel came his dog named Lady, running down the aisle of his store followed by five little puppies.

One puppy was lagging considerably behind. Immediately the little boy singled out the lagging, limping puppy. He asked, "What's wrong with that little dog?"

The man explained that when the puppy was born, the vet said that this puppy had a bad hip socket and would limp for the rest of his life.

The little boy got really excited and said, "That's the puppy I want to buy!"

The man replied "No, you don't want to buy that little dog. If you really want him, I'll give him to you."

The little boy got upset. He looked straight into the man's eyes and said, "I don't want you to give him to me. He is worth every bit as much as the other dogs and I'll pay the full price. In fact, I will give you $2.37 now and 50 cents every month until I have him paid for." The man countered, "You really don't want to buy this puppy, son. He is never gonna be able to run, jump and play like other puppies."

The little boy reached down and rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twisted, crippled left leg supported by a big metal brace. He looked up at the man and said, "Well, I don't run so well myself and the little puppy will need someone who understands." The man was now biting his bottom lip. Tears welled up in his eyes ...He smiled and said, "Son, I hope and pray that each and every one of these puppies will find a friend such as you."

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks away.

I’ve heard it said that the best gift you can give your children is “a good childhood” . . . my son loves coming to this camp, he’s made friends that he texts and facebooks and in keeping along the lines of giving my son a ‘good childhood’, this is one of the best gifts I have ever been able to give him . . . .

· You see, there is nothing so well worth having as friends so never lose a chance to make them.

· Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

· We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere. – Tim McGraw said that


I WANT TO GIVE YOU ONE OF SEVERAL DEFINITIONS FOR THE WORD “INCUBATOR”.

It means, ‘surroundings favorable to progress’: a place, organization, or environment that promotes the growth or development of something

Ya know, strangers are just friends waiting to happen and WHERE BETTER THAN TO HAVE MET YOUR NEW BEST FRIENDS THAN AT CAMP _____________!! Here at camp we put every effort into camp life being the perfect incubator where seeds of friendship are planted and nourished where they can blossom into lifetime relationships. Changing lives for the better . . . .

· You have come to know each other by chance, you’ve become friends by choice but you will stay friends by decision. Friendships take constant repair and maintenance, but anything worth having in life takes work . .

Some of your cabin mates have already begun to leave . . . the rest of you have one week left that will all too soon dissipate into your summer like a burp into a hurricane . . . it’s gonna pass right by before you know it.

Many of you will be sad upon parting ways with your friends, that is only natural . . . You may find yourself asking, Where is the good in goodbye? Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?

The reason it hurts so much to separate is because your souls are connected now. But try not to be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. . ~ and we do pray that if not before you will all meet again right here on your old stomping grounds again next summer . . .

But until that time, there is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound. Be diligent, keep your relationships in constant repair, stay in touch . . . . for no man is so rich as he is able to afford to throw away a friend. . . . . And don’t forget to say all the things you want to say as you say good-bye and you all part ways: The best things said usually come last. People will talk for hours saying nothing much and then linger at the door with words that come with a rush from the heart. ~ don’t miss it . . .don’t be afraid to share what is on your heart.

I may not see most of you kiddos again til next year, so for me I’ll just say, “Til next year . . . . we love you guys, you have touched our hearts. . . . when you leave here Saturday purpose in your heart to stay in touch - with us and with each other . . . . . Some of us are old relathionships and long time acquaintances, however Many of you met us this year as strangers, but you leave here as our friends.

And lastly, I would be amiss not tell you all . . . in relation to friendship,

“The dearest friend on earth is a mere shadow compared to Jesus Christ.” DC Talk asks the following question in one of their songs . . . Does it make me a stranger that my best friend was born in a manger?"

No, not here . . . I would dare say that many of us have this in common . . . . but if not I encourage you to know Jesus personally, for he is a friend that sticks closer than a brother, and he has promised to never leave you nor forsake you . . .

Humans can live without food for forty days, without water for about three days, and without air for about eight minutes. But we cannot thrive without Jesus . . . . what a friend we have in him


Michael W. Smith says it like this-

"Friends are friends forever, if the Lord is the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never, cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands I know
That a lifetime's not too long... to live as friends."
-

Thank you for sharing your lives with us . . . and allowing us to be a part of your lives as well.

And THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND HAVE A FANTASTIC FOURTH OF JULY night everyone! May God bless each and every one of you . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment